Following Sunday’s deadly massacre in Florida and reports that another mass killing may have been planned in Los Angeles, San Francisco organizers are assessing security measures ahead of the city’s annual SF Pride festival.
The festival, which is slated to take place on June 25 and 26, draws thousands of people from all over the globe to celebrate diversity and gay pride. With such large crowds, many prospective attendees have expressed concern that the event will be a target for crazed gunmen like Omar Mateen, who on Sunday shot and killed at least 50 people and wounded at least 53 more at a gay nightclub in Orlando, Florida.
Vigils have been planned across the Bay Area to honor the victims. San Francisco Mayor Ed Lee and other Bay Area politicians quickly released statements expressing solidarity with Florida.
SF Pride released its own statement that addressed some of the safety concerns. The hosting organization said the “most important thing” is to “continue our plans for our 46th annual parade and celebration and let terrorists against our community, and Democracy, know that we will be unbowed and unbroken by this attack.”
The organization said it was working with the San Francisco Police Department to do a security review and determine additional measures it could take to ensure public safety.
The city’s police department also released a statement saying it had been working with SF Pride for months to ensure a safe environment for the all-ages event, and that more security reviews were scheduled between Sunday’s tragic events and the festival.
In the meantime, the department announced that it would be increasing police presence in bustling areas, including areas with popular transit, shopping and entertainment locales. Officers were quick to remind the public that there was no known threat to San Francisco.
"We remind the public, if you see something, say something!” a spokesperson for the department told NBC Bay Area.