Suspect in 3 Bay Area Homicides Has a List of People He Wanted to Kill: Sources

A suspect believed to be responsible for two homicides reported Friday in Oakland and San Francisco has been taken into custody after a shootout with sheriff's deputies in Nevada.

Police issued a Bay Area-wide alert Friday afternoon seeking help in locating Stefon Jefferson of Oakland, 43, who had a list of people he wanted to kill, which included a man he allegedly shot and killed Friday in the 4100 block of Market Street in Oakland, and another person in San Francisco's Bayview District, according to sources close to the investigation.

Jefferson allegedly shot his relative, Marcus Jackson, in Oakland over some type of family disagreement, according to neighbors. 

The victim in San Francisco was identified Saturday as 49-year-old Laron Davis, according to the city's coroner.

Berkeley police said Saturday that they are also considering Jefferson as a suspect in another shooting at People's Park that left one person dead.

In search of the homicide suspect, San Francisco Police Department said Jefferson may have been driving a black, Toyota Camry he had stolen from one of the victims.

South Lake Tahoe Police Department located the suspect vehicle later Friday evening, according to the Douglas County Sheriff's Office.

Law enforcement officials pursued Jefferson's vehicle on Highway 207 into Nevada where sheriff's deputies performed a PIT maneuver on Jefferson's sedan. 

Jefferson fired his gun at a sheriff's sergeant and the deputy sustained a gunshot wound to his left hand, according to Douglas County Sergeant Jeff Schemenauer. Deputies fired their weapons back and Jefferson was eventually taken into custody with a minor gunshot wound, according to the sheriff's office.

The injured officer is expected to be released from the hospital Saturday afternoon, Schemenauer said.

Jefferson was charged with attempted murder of a police officer as well as other felonies related to the investigation. He remained in a Douglas County jail as detectives continue to work on the case.

Contact Us