Summer is here and the Peninsula’s lush parks, sprawling coastline and free musical numbers are calling your name.
Check out this list to find out where you're going this summer:
Fourth of July Festivities
- Pancake Breakfast: Begin your day decked out in red, white and blue, chowing on some breakfast at one of Foster City, Redwood City or Half Moon Bay’s pancake breakfasts (Details here, here and here) after burning it off on a run.
- Feel the Burn: You can join the annual Rocket Run in Pacifica or Fourth of July 5K in Redwood City — or go straight from breakfast to the chili cook-off over in Palo Alto. Depending on your intake of beans, it may just provide the same level of burn.
- More Parades and Festivals: There are festivities planned in Foster City starting at 9 a.m., in Menlo Park from 11:45 a.m. to 2:30 p.m., at noon in Half Moon Bay and in Pacifica from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m at Frontierland Park and more.
Summer Concerts and Live Music
- Wednesday's Summer Concert Series in Menlo Park: Free concerts all summer from 6:30 to 8 p.m. each Wednesday from June to August in Fremont Park. (Details here)
- Wednesday's Music in the Park in Redwood City: Grab a hamburger and drinks, donated by the Optimist Club of Redwood City and enjoy a free concert each Wednesday through August 16 from 6 to 8 p.m. at Stafford Park. All proceeds benefit the SchoolForce Save the Music program in Redwood City Schools. (Details here)
- Thursday's SFJazz Summerfest: Every Thursday until Aug. 7, you can catch free jazz performances at Stanford Shopping Center. (Details here)
- Thursday's Summer Concert Series in San Mateo: The free musical performances in Central Park run from June 22 through August 17 at 6 to 8 p.m. each night. (Details here)
- Friday's at Magical Bridge in Palo Alto: Every Friday from June 2 to Sept. 1, bring your family out to free concerts at the community theater in Mitchell Park. Bands will be playing from 6:30 to 8 p.m. (Details here)
- Beer Friday at Devil's Canyon Brewing Company in San Carlos: The venue is sponsoring live music, food trucks and a family party on July 30 and August 28. (Details here)
- Friday's Music on the Square in Redwood City: The popular summer event is back with free concerts lined up every Friday from 6 to 8 p.m. through Sept. 1 on the Courthouse Square. (Details here)
- Sunday's Summer Concert Series in Belmont: Catch free summer concerts in Belmont every Sunday through July 30. (Details here)
- Sunday's Summer Concert Series in Burlingame: Lawn seating, drinks for purchase and free summer sounds each week at Washington Park from 1 to 3 p.m. in July. (Details here)
- More concerts in Redwood City: From Kidchella to Sounds of the Shores, you might want to check Redwood City’s full listing of free music for ideas this summer. (Details here)
- Movie Series in Menlo Park: runs from July 27 through Sept. 22. (Details here)
- Movie Series at the San Mateo County Parks: This year, the list of movies includes Moana, Finding Dory and Zootopia. (Details here)
- Wednesday's Farmers Market in Pacifica: Pick up fresh vegetables while enjoying a day at Rockaway Beach on Old County Rd. from 2:30 to 6:30 p.m. The Pacifica Farmers Market is open through December.
- Wednesday's Farmer Market in Palo Alto: Head to the VA Palo Alto Farmers Market any Wednesday from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. from April to November. (Details here)
- Thursday's in Portola Valley: Every Thursday from 2 to 6 p.m. during the summer months, come out to the Historic Schoolhouse, 765 Portola Rd. in Portola Valley. (Details here)
- Thursday's Fresh Market in Burlingame: The Fresh Market runs every Thursday afternoon from May through October from 3 to 7 p.m. and every Sunday until Christmas from 9 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. (Details here)
- Sunday's Fresh Market in Burlingame: The Fresh Market runs every Sunday until Christmas from 9 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. and every Thursday afternoon from May through October from 3 to 7 p.m. (Details here)
- Saturday's Farmers Market in San Mateo: The College of San Mateo hosts a farmers market every Saturday from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. (Details here)
- Sunday's Farmers Market in Belmont: This market runs from 9 to 1 p.m. year-round. (Details here)
On the Beach
- World Surf Dog Competition at Linda Mar: The second annual World Dog Surfing Competition is coming back to Pacifica on Aug. 5. It is free to attend, but there is a registration fee for your surfing pup to compete. (Details here)
- Beach Clean-Ups: Looking for a way to get out and volunteer with your family while getting a little fresh air? Pacifica Beach Coalition has cleanups at a variety of beaches starting at 9 a.m. Saturday mornings and 10 a.m. Sunday mornings. (Details here)
- Sunday's Bike Trail: Bikers, roller skaters, joggers and more take to the street every Sunday from Cañada Road between the Filoli entrance and Highway 92 when it closes to motorized traffic. (Details here)
- Kite Festival at Coyote Point: San Mateo County Parks Department announced its first kite festival at Coyote Point Recreation Area would be held July 8 from noon to 4 p.m. and include everything from shows to free kite making and BBQ. (Details here)
- Facebook County Fair: If you didn't get enough at the San Mateo County Fair, head to Facebook for its free festival on Aug. 26 from noon to 7 p.m. (Details here)
There are tons of events on the Peninsula this summer! Email firstname.lastname@example.org with other free events you're excited about this summer.