Listen to 911 Calls from Moments After SiPort Triple Homicide

Friend speaks up for man accused of killing co-workers

The day after the man accused of killing three colleagues at a  Silicon Valley semiconductor company made his first court appearance, the San Jose Mercury News obtained three 911 calls made immediately following the shooting.

In the recordings, you can hear the caller immediately identify the suspect as Jing Hau Wu, the prime suspect in the case.  The unidentified man said the victims had been shot in the head.

The called said Wu had a gun and had left the building wearing a baseball cap and light colored clothing.  (Listen to the call here.)

The longest call was three minutes and 40 seconds. 

You can read some of the transcripts by clicking on this link.

JIng Hua Wu, 47,  he was arraigned on murder charges Wednesday.

He is charged with three counts of murder,  with a special allegation on each count that he personally used a firearm, as  well as the special circumstances charge of killing multiple victims, Deputy  District Attorney Jeff Rosen said.

Wu, shackled at his wrists and feet, in an orange jail clothing covered by a yellow  T-shirt, stood before Judge Jerome Nadler Wednesday. He looked down as cameras  leaned in, and Wu's Public Defender attorneys Michael Ogul and Ken Mandel  delayed entering a plea and waived time for a preliminary hearing.

Wu is described as extremely distraught. 

"He seems very sad.  Its natural for him to be very sad about the situation," said public defender Michael Ogul.

A woman who said she has known Wu for more than 10 year said she was shocked by the charges.

"Wu is very shy very nice person and very good to his family and his friends," Karen Cai said through an interpreter.

If convicted on all charges and special allegations, Wu could face  up to life in prison without the possibility of parole. The special  circumstances charge also makes Wu eligible for the death penalty if the  District Attorney's Office decides to seek it, according to Rosen.

"It's a very careful process that takes us many months to decide,"  Rosen said.

Wu is charged with killing SiPort CEO Sid Agrawal, 56, of Fremont;  Vice President of Operations Brian Pugh, 47, of Los Altos; and Human  Resources Manager Marilyn Lewis, 67, of San Jose.

Wu was fired Friday morning from his job as an engineer in testing  and production at SiPort Inc., which makes chips for high-definition radios,  Santa Clara police Lt. Mike Sellers said.

The company fired Wu, who worked for SiPort for more than 2 years,  due to performance-related issues, according to the District Attorney's  Office.

Later that day, Wu contacted executives at the company to arrange  a meeting to discuss his separation from the company, according to Sellers.

"Obviously they didn't sense any kind of reason to be alarmed by  his behavior," Sellers said.

Rosen would not confirm that a meeting was arranged ahead of time,  but said Wu returned to the business at 3255 Scott Blvd., No. 7 later that  day.

Witnesses said they saw Wu entering Agrawal's office, where Wu  allegedly shot Pugh, Lewis and Agrawal with a 9 mm handgun.

Officers were called to the business on reports of multiple  gunshots and found Agrawal, Pugh and Lewis in Agrawal's office suffering from  fatal gunshot wounds.

Employees in the office at the time of the shooting were able to  quickly identify Wu as the shooter and reported that he was seen carrying a  handgun after they heard gunshots, the district attorney's office reported.

Wu allegedly fled the building before police arrived and was seen  driving away in a rented silver Mercury Mariner sport utility vehicle,  Sellers said.

After extensive searches, officers found Wu walking through a  parking lot in Mountain View Saturday morning. Police found a 9 mm handgun in  the trunk of Wu's rental car parked nearby.

Ros en said he would not comment on Wu's mental state, a possible  motive or anything else that could affect an investigation into the  shootings.

"I don't want to speculate about why the defendant murdered three  of his coworkers because I am ethically bound to preserve his right to a fair  trial and to allow the police to conduct a thorough and objective  investigation," Ros en said.

Outside the courtroom, Ogul said he and his co-counsel know little about the case so far.

Ogul would not comment on Wu's state of mind except to say his  client is "very sad."

"I think that it's natural for him to be very sad at this point,"  Ogul said.

Wu remains in Santa Clara County Jail on no bail status and is  scheduled to return to court Dec. 18 at 2 p.m. for further arraignment.

Meanwhile, memorial and funeral services have been set up in honor  of the victims.

A service for Agrawal was held this morning at the Lima Family  Milpitas-Fremont Mortuary, 48800 Warm Springs Blvd. in Fremont, mortuary  staff said.

In lieu of flowers, family members have requested donations be  sent to Ashish Agrawal for Sid Agrawal Memorial Fund, 47000 Warm Springs  Blvd., No. 140, Fremont, Calif. 94539, mortuary staff said.

A memorial and funeral service for Pugh will be held Friday at 1  p.m.

A memorial for Lewis will be held Thursday at 1 p.m.

Donations in Lewis' name can be mailed to the Greater Bay Area  Make a Wish Foundation, 235 Pine St., Sixth Floor, San Francisco, Calif.  94104. Lewis' name should be written on the check so the family can be  notified, staff said.

SiPort has established a fund through the Silicon Valley Community  Foundation. Donations to the fund can be mailed to Silicon Valley Community  Foundation, Attn: SiPort Memorial Fund, 2440 W. El Camino Real, Suite 300,  Mountain View, Calif. 94040. SiPort Memorial Fund should also be written on  the check memo line, staff said.

Contact Us