Stephen Ellison

Video Shows Heroism During Las Vegas Mass Shooting

Newly released video shows the chaotic moments just after bullets started spraying down on the Las Vegas Strip from the Mandalay Bay Casino on Sunday night.

The footage came from a nearby traffic systems employee working on a stoplight who saw what was happening and walked into the line of fire.

The Clark County worker wasn’t the only one risking his life. The video provides a startling perspective, showing people rushing to get out of the venue where a music festival concert was underway and as far away from the shooter as possible.

The video shows the moments when officers swoop in, offering direction and aid to those caught up in the gunfire.

As thousands of people poured out of the Route 91 Harvest Festival, the video reveals clear direction from local police.

"Run, go, go! Keep your head down. go!" one officer is heard yelling as he walks into the gunfire and people flee.

It is perhaps the most direct evidence to date of the heroism during the mass shooting.

Tony Ribera is a former San Francisco police chief who currently teaches at University of San Francisco. He reviewed the footage and points out protocol is key: Officers wait for a break in the gunfire and keep the escape route open.

"They exposed themselves to direct sniper fire from an automatic weapon to help the people of Las Vegas," Ribera said. "If you have people lying down or crouching down at one of the egress points, they’re blocking other people from getting out. You have to keep it clear. You have to keep people moving."

At one point in the video, a man is heard calling for aid, unaware he’s taken a bullet to the chest. The injured man receives a tourniquet and attention as officers balance saving a life without sacrificing more victims.

"If anything positive comes out of this horrible situation, hopefully more people will realize the sacrifice that our officers make for our safety!" Ribera said.

The 10-minute video is just a snippet of what officers were up against. In some cases, the gunfire lasted for 20 or 30 seconds at a time and then a tight window of calm for officers to make critical decisions.

Contact Us