Dozens Attend Vigil for Injured South San Francisco Officer Hit in Head by Skateboard

Dozens attended a vigil Monday night for a South San Francisco police officer who remains in critical condition after he was struck in the head by a suspect's skateboard on Thanksgiving.

Community members and Officer Robby Chon's family and friends gathered at the South San Francisco police station at 33 Arroyo Drive to support the officer's quick and full recovery. Chon is a 12-year veteran of the force, who is married and has two children.

He has been in critical condition at San Francisco General Hospital since the day of the attack, having suffered a traumatic head injury, but he is showing signs of recovery. Doctors on Monday said they are "cautiously optimistic" with his progress. Fellow officers said he has a long road to recovery.

Chon's sister spoke to the gathering, making a tearful plea for prayers.

"I beg you, please continue to pray," she said. "I thank you for supporting my family and my brother. ... I look into my nephews eyes; I want to assure them everything will be OK and their dad will be safe. But he has a long road to recover from his injuries."

City leaders lit up the old City Hall in blue to honor Chon and said they will be making available blue lightbulbs for those who wish to install them in a porch light to show support.

The violent attack started around 2:20 p.m. Thursday near the 300 block of Grand Avenue when Chon attempted to approach a suspect reportedly disturbing the peace at a local business, police said. The suspect, who was later identified as Luis Alberto Ramos-Coreas, a 28-year-old resident of South San Francisco, did not yield to the Chon's commands, prompting the officer to call for backup.

A South San Francisco police officer who was left in critical condition Thursday after being hit in the head by a suspect’s skateboard was identified Friday, police said. Christie Smith reports.

When a second officer arrived, Ramos-Coreas took off from the scene on foot, according to police. During a subsequent chase, Ramos-Coreas immediately came to a screeching halt, pivoted and smacked Chon in the head with the skateboard.

Chon was transported to a local hospital and taken into the operating room, police said.

The second officer on scene was able to detain Ramos-Coreas after another brief foot pursuit, police said. Ramos-Coreas was booked on suspicion of numerous felony charges, including attempted murder of a law enforcement officer.

Ramiro Castillo
Surveillance video captures a pursuit just before a South San Francisco police officer was hit in the head by a suspect's skateboard. (Nov. 25, 2016)

Ramos-Coreas does have a history of "criminal contacts" with police, but the specifics of those run-ins were not detailed by officials.

Since the assault, a GoFundMe campaign to assist Chon and his family has raised more than $109,000.

Officials are currently investigating the attack. Anyone with information is asked to contact the South San Francisco Police Department at 650-877-8900 or the anonymous tip line at 650-952-2244.

NBC Bay Area's Jean Elle and the Associated Press contributed to this report.

Contact Us