This winter has been epic in Tahoe. The ski resorts have measure snow by the foot since early December.
That will make for a great Snowfest 2011. Snowfest boasts of being one is the largest winter carnival west of the Mississippi.
It kicks off this weekend and runs through March 13. The festival kicks off with a fireworks show and torchlight parade at Squaw Valley.
So if the massive base snow isn't enough to bring you the slopes, how about the zany/wacky events that begin this weekend. From hometown parades to polar bear swims and extreme food challenges.
Here are the base amounts as of Monday:
- Alpine Meadows – open, base of 131 to 217 inches
- Diamond Peak – base of 99 to 142 inches
- Boreal Mountain Resort – base of 100 to 200 inches
- Homewood Mountain Resort – base of 150 to 218 inches
- Mt. Rose – Ski Tahoe – base of 106 to 167 inches
- Northstar-at-Tahoe – base of 130 and 178 inches
- Soda Springs – base of 90 to 175 inches
- Squaw Valley USA – base of 92 to 185 inches
- Sugar Bowl – base of 111 to 205 inches