Hawaii Man Who Sent Missile Alert '100 Percent Sure' Threat Was Real - NBC Bay Area
National & International News
The day’s top national and international news

Hawaii Man Who Sent Missile Alert '100 Percent Sure' Threat Was Real

The mistake sparked panic on Jan. 13

    processing...

    NEWSLETTERS

    Adopt These 10 Healthy Sleep Habits
    Cory Lum/AP
    FILE - In this Jan. 13, 2018, file photo provided by Civil Beat, cars drive past a highway sign that says "MISSILE ALERT ERROR THERE IS NO THREAT" on the H-1 Freeway in Honolulu.

    The former Hawaii emergency management worker who sent a false missile alert last month said Friday that he's devastated for causing panic but was "100 percent sure" at the time that the attack was real.

    “I did what I was trained to do,” said the worker, who spoke to NBC News on Friday on the condition of anonymity because of threats against his life.

    A preliminary report from the Federal Communications Commission found the drill was “run without sufficient supervision” and that “there were no procedures in place to prevent a single person from mistakenly sending a missile alert from the State of Hawaii.”

    The mistake sparked panic on Jan. 13, sending Hawaiians scrambling to seek shelter amid heightened tensions between the U.S. and North Korea over the regime’s nuclear ambitions.

    'Regrettable': Hawaii Officials Speak on False Missile Alert

    [NATL] 'Regrettable': Hawaii Officials Speak on False Missile Alert

    After a false missile alert was sent out in Hawaii and sparked widespread panic, Gov. David Ige said the mistake "should not have happened," and Vern Miyagi of Hawaii Emergency Management Agency said the error was "regrettable."

    (Published Sunday, Jan. 14, 2018)