Eight Shot at Calif. Apartment Complex, No Fatalities Reported - NBC Bay Area
National & International News
The day’s top national and international news

Eight Shot at Calif. Apartment Complex, No Fatalities Reported

City Manager Promises "Strategic, Proactive Actions" to Reduce Violent Crime

    processing...

    NEWSLETTERS

    8 Shot in San Bernardino, Police Search for Suspects

    Eight people were shot in San Bernardino, and authorities are still looking for the suspects. Patrick Healy reports for NBC4 News at 5 p.m. on Sept. 3, 2018. (Published Monday, Sept. 3, 2018)

    Gunfire wounded eight people, two critically, in a late night shooting at a San Bernardino apartment complex, police said.

    Victims, including a 17-year-old shot in the head, were transported to three hospitals, according to San Bernardino Police. 

    The shooting happened in the front common area of the complex in the 1200 block of East Lynwood Drive, said Capt. Rich Lawhead. Police said the initial investigation indicates there was an exchange of gunfire, but details about what led to the gunfire were not available

    Rounds were fired from inside and outside the apartment building. Evidence markers could be seen on the ground around the property. Judging by bullet casings found at the scene, investigators said several types of guns were fired. 

    Responding officers, who tried to help the injured, encountered what the department described as a hostile crowd that came out of the apartment complex. A passing vehicle and nearby apartment also were struck by gunfire.

    By several accounts, locals had congregated in the area, drinking and playing dice, before the shooting erupted. 

    No arrests were made, and police reported difficulty in getting witness information, despite the number of person present when the shooting erupted.

    "Lives were threatened and innocent people that live in or were simply driving through the area were put in harm's way.  This is unacceptable," reads in part a statement issued Monday by the office of Andrea Miller, San Bernardino City Manager.

    "The city's past reactive responses to crimes of this nature will now transitiion to strategic, proactive actions," Miller stated, citing a recently launched Violence Intervention Program, and putting the Police Department in charge of property code enforcement.  She promised additional details later in the week.

    "No more turning a blind eye to residents involved in illegal activity," Miller stated.

    The financially struggling city of San Bernardino  emerged from bankruptcy only last year, its recovery bedeviled by outbursts of crime. 

    "Public safety is the biggest priority to successfully rebuilding San Bernardino," Miller stated.

    Police revised down to eight the initial assessment that 10 people suffered gunshot wounds.

    This is a developing story. Refresh this page for updates.