How SoCal's 'House of Horrors' Children Are Doing 1 Year Later - NBC Bay Area
Today Digital Originals

Today Digital Originals

Stories and videos from our partners at "Today"

How SoCal's 'House of Horrors' Children Are Doing 1 Year Later

Authorities rescued 13 children, many of them starved, beaten or shackled to furniture, from their California home

    processing...

    NEWSLETTERS

    A year after authorities discovered 13 malnourished and enslaved children inside the California home of their parents, the lawyer for some of the siblings says the survivors continue to adapt to their new-found freedom and relearn basic life skills.

    “They're not bitter. They really take every day as it is, as a gift,” said Jack Osborn, attorney for the seven adult children of David and Louis Turpin.

    Last January, one of the older children escaped through a window and called 911. It led to the arrest of the Turpins and the discovery of what prosecutors have called “a house of horrors.”

    Authorities found 13 children, aged 2 to 29. Many of them were starved, others beaten and shackled to furniture. All of the victims had been restricted from showering to once a year.

    Captive Children Were Shackled and Tortured

    [NATL-LA] Children Shackled and Tortured

    A Southern California couple accused of holding their 13 children, half of them adults, captive in inhumane conditions -- even shackled to furniture -- were charged today with more than three dozen felonies, including torture, child abuse and false imprisonment. Tony Shin reports for the NBC4 News on Thursday, Jan. 18, 2018.

    (Published Thursday, Jan. 25, 2018)

    “They came from a situation that seemed normal to them. And now they're in a new normal,” Osborn said. “And so I think they may spend a long time processing the two.”

    The Turpins have pleaded not guilty to nearly 50 charges of torture, false imprisonment and child abuse. They face life in prison if convicted.

    A year after their arrest, their children continue to learn how to make choices that come naturally for others.

    “For really the first time they're able to make their own decisions, and decide what they're going to eat. They decide where they're going to go, what they're going to study,” Osborn said.

    The children haven't spoken to their parents since their arrest but may face them in court if they testify, a prospect that concerns them.

    "That worries them, and that's not something they're looking forward to at all," Osborn said.

    Rooms of Tortured Children Filled With Urine: Police

    [NATL-LA] Rooms of Tortured Children Filled With Urine: Police

    Police provided more details about the squalid living conditions where they found 13 malnourished children in Perris. Tony Shin reports for the NBC4 News at 5 p.m. on Wednesday, Jan. 17, 2018.

    (Published Thursday, Jan. 25, 2018)

    The adult Turpin children, who were so malnourished when discovered that police thought they were minors, now live together. They insist they don’t want the public to see them as victims.

    “They want people to know that they are survivors. They want to be independent now,” Osborn said.

    The entire group of siblings still get together often, with the older ones paying frequent visits to the younger ones, who are in foster care.

    “The older children are extremely protective of the younger ones. So, when they do have time together, it’s a lot of nurturing. There is a lot of reassuring,” he said. “And one of the things that they're grateful for is they've got each other.”

    This story first appeared on TODAY.com. More from TODAY:

    Children Torture Case: Parents Face Additional Charges

    [NATL-LA] Children Torture Case: Parents Face Additional Charges

    The parents accused of torturing 12 of their 13 children found shackled in their Perris, California, home face three additional charges. Tony Shin reports for NBC4 News on Friday, Feb. 23, 2018.

    (Published Friday, Feb. 23, 2018)