A dog found unresponsive in a burning apartment early Thursday morning in Koreatown received oxygen, water and the comfort of a belly rub from Los Angeles firefighters.
The fire was reported just after midnight in the 100 block of South Oxford Street and knocked down in about 10 minutes. Firefighters contained the kitchen fire to just one unit, where they found the young dog, bulldog named Potato, alone and unable to breathe on the floor.
Witness said thick black smoke billowed from the apartment after firefighters knocked down a door.
U.S. & World
"I thought the dog was really going to die," said witness Martha Sanchez. "It was like a movie. They were really fast."
Rescuers carried the dog from the apartment complex and performed resuscitation on the ground outside the two-story building. One firefighter was petting and comforting the dog, who was back up and walking around after receiving oxygen and water.
Firefighters received an update form Potato's owner later Thursday morning.
"We're happy to report we spoke to the owner and Potato is doing well at the vet... getting a checkup," said LAFD Battalion Chief Dean Zipperman, also a dog owner. "I'm glad we can help the people we do. It's gratification. Every day we go home and we feel we made a difference and impact."
Details regarding a cause of the fire were not immediately available, but it appeared to start in the kitchen.
No major injuries were reported. Firefighters also helped a woman in a wheelchair get out of the building, but she was not a resident of the burning unit, authorities said.