A Key Largo couple was mistakenly shipped 11 pounds of marijuana at a rental home in Louisiana, but the two didn't realize what was in the package until they arrived back home in the Florida Keys, the Monroe County Sheriff's Office said.
The husband told Monroe deputies the box was first shipped to their home in Louisiana back in July, but he instructed his cleaning lady to return it to UPS, authorities said. The package was sent back to the rental home once more, and this time the cleaning lady put it inside while the couple was away.
The couple then took a trip to check on several rental properties and found the box was still at the home in Louisiana, officials said. When they opened it, they found two locked blue suitcases. Thinking it was lost luggage, they put the suitcases in the back of the truck and decided to deal with it when they got back to the Keys, authorities said.
U.S. & World
When they got home, they cut the locks off the suitcases and found two sealed bags full of marijuana inside that weighed a total of 11 pounds, deputies said.
The couple called the Sheriff's Office and turned in the marijuana, which will be destroyed.
Deputies said the couple could have been arrested if their truck had been pulled over while transporting the marijuana.
More on NBC6.com:
- WATCH: Florida State University AcaBelles' Rendition of Lorde's "Royals" Goes Viral
- Nightly Closures on Northbound and Southbound Palmetto Expressway Lanes
- Instagram This: Food Photos Are Insta Appetite Killers, Study Finds
- PHOTOS: Celebrity Pets
- 3 Dead, 1 Injured in Elderly Man's Shooting Rampage
- Internet Cat Star Colonel Meow is Seriously Ill
- Watch: Tatum Parodies Van Damme's "Epic Splits"