The world’s top consumer safety product tester demonstrated Tuesday how quickly a hoverboard battery cell can burst into flames.
Underwriters Laboratories (UL) performed heating tests on lithium ion batteries typically found in hoverboards. The tests were in a confined area and overseen by professionals.
Within seconds, two individual battery cells ignited in two different tests.
U.S. & World
The blunt nail test is designed to cause a short circuit. The second test heats up a battery cell from underneath in order to test for exploding projectiles.
UL consumer safety director John Drengenberg said hoverboard battery fires can be caused by overcharging or by chargers that are not matched to the batteries.
"The batteries are probably cheaper versions of lithium ion batteries and they don't have the proper venting and they might not have the proper circuitry that can protect them," Drengenberg said.