Four months after President Donald Trump directed the Defense Department to organize a military parade, planning is just beginning but no budget has been assigned yet.
Pentagon officials told NBC News that they will be able to pull off the extravaganza, but the lack of momentum is notable — and possibly indicative of low enthusiasm for the event outside the Oval Office.
"There is only one person who wants this parade," a senior U.S. official said, referring to Trump, who got the idea for the parade while viewing France's Bastille Day Parade last summer.
U.S. & World
In the last week or so, the event has gotten some attention. Officials have now recommended the route begin at the Capitol, pass the White House and end at the National Mall, and the date has moved up a day from Nov. 11 to Nov. 10. A Joint Chiefs of Staff team is drafting a planning order for U.S. Northern Command, which will then dig into the specifics.