Timeline: What Happened After Freddie Gray's Arrest

The death of Freddie Gray, a Baltimore man who died in police custody after suffering serious spinal injuries, sparked violent protests across the city, prompting Maryland's governor to call in the National Guard.

At least 15 police officers were hurt, 235 people arrested, and 144 vehicles set on fire during Monday's unrest, police said Tuesday.

Here is a look at what has happened since Gray's arrest:

April 12:

  • Police say four officers on bike patrol stopped a man along a busy street northwest of downtown Baltimore. Officers say the man tried to run away as they approached, but they caught him a minute later about two blocks away. The man was taken by a van from the scene to the Western District station, after stopping once to put restraints on his legs and again to pick up a prisoner in a unrelated case. At the station, an ambulance was called to treat him and take him to the University of Maryland R Adams Cowley Shock Trauma Center.

April 13:

  • Deputy Commissioner Jerry Rodriguez says the incident is under investigation.

April 14:

  • Relatives identify the injured man as 25-year-old Freddie Gray and reveal Gray had spinal injuries and was in critical condition at the Shock Trauma Center.

April 19:

April 20:

  • Court documents show police say Gray had been arrested “without force or incident.” Court records also reveal that officers had asked that Gray be charged with carrying a switchblade, punishable by a year in prison and a $500 fine.
  • Autopsy results reveal Gray “did suffer a significant spinal injury that led to his death.”

April 21:

April 22:

  • One group of protesters marches in the streets for 20 blocks, blocking intersections and disrupting traffic for short periods of time before moving on. They march near the hospital where Gray died and continue onto the Inner Harbor before stopping in front of City Hall. The group then marches to an onramp of Interstate 83, a highway that cuts through the city, but the onramp was blocked by police.
  • At a second protest at the Western District police precinct, more than 100 demonstrators push on a barricade, and about 30 police officers push back. Some protesters hurl obscenities and throw soda cans and bottles at the line of police behind the barricades, but none hit the officers and the demonstration remains largely peaceful. Three people are detained.

April 23:

  • A civil rights group says it will conduct its own investigation into Gray’s death. The Baltimore chapter of the Southern Christian Leadership Conference says that a former Philadelphia police officer will conduct the investigation for the group.
  • A lawyer for the Baltimore police officers union says Freddie Gray wasn't strapped in with a seat belt after he was hoisted into a police van and driven to a Baltimore station.
  • The governor of Maryland sends 32 state troopers to Baltimore to help with protests.
  • About 200 people gather near Baltimore City Hall to rally for Gray and march through downtown The protesters briefly scuffle with police, shouting at them and throwing objects. Police tweet that at least two people were taken into custody for disorderly conduct and destruction of property.

April 24:

April 25:

  • Several hundred demonstrators march through the streets of West Baltimore. At least a thousand protesters make their way from West Baltimore to City Hall.
  • Scores of rowdy Freddie Gray protesters gather outside of Camden Yards, where the Baltimore Orioles are expected to play the Boston Red Sox at 7:05 p.m. Smaller groups split off from the main demonstration and begin throwing cans, bottles and trash cans at police, storefronts and restaurants. At least two people are injured. Baseball fans at Baltimore Orioles-Boston Red Sox game asked to stay inside stadium amid the violence.
  • Gray’s twin sister, Fredricka Gray, appeals for calm in a news conference with the mayor.

April 26:

April 27:

  • Thousands gather for Freddie Gray’s funeral.
  • President Barack Obama pledges help for Baltimore riots after Gray’s funeral. Attorney General Loretta Lynch, in her first day on the job, says she will send Justice Department officials to the city in coming days.
  • Orioles vs. White Sox game postponed due to safety concerns.
  • Riots turn parts of Baltimore into chaos with demonstrators torching a pharmacy, setting police cars ablaze and throwing bricks at officers. The governor declares a state of emergency and calls in the National Guard to restore order.
During protests in Baltimore, in response to the death of Freddie Gray while in police custody last week, a CVS was on fire and being looted.

April 28:

 May 1:

  • Freddie Gray's death was ruled a homicide and six police officers involved in his arrest were charged. The most serious charge, second-degree depraved heart murder, was brought against Officer Caesar Goodson Jr., 45, who drove the van that brought Gray to a police station. Other charges ranged from manslaughter to misconduct.
  • The Baltimore prosecutor, Marilyn Mosby, said that there was no probable cause for Gray's arrest. The knife he had in his pocket was not a switchblade and could be carried legally in Baltimore.
  • The Baltimore police union responded that none of the officers was responsible for Gray's death and asked Mosby to appoint a special prosecutor.
Copyright AP - Associated Press
Contact Us