Stow Suspect's Sister Told to Drive Away in a Hurry - NBC Bay Area

Stow Suspect's Sister Told to Drive Away in a Hurry

The preliminary hearing will determine whether Marvin Norwood and Louie Sanchez will stand trial in the Bryan Stow assault



    At the fifth day of a preliminary hearing for Louie Sanchez and Marvin Norwood, who are charged in the 2011 beating of Giants fan Bryan Stow at Dodger Stadium, Sanchez's sister described the scene. Noreen Sanchez, who is Norwood's fiancee, said she heard a scuffle and then the two suspects told her to drive away. Also during Thursday's proceedings, witness for the first time identified the suspects. Patrick Healy reports from downtown Los Angeles for the NBC4 News at 5 p.m. on June 7, 2012. (Published Thursday, June 7, 2012)

    A sister of one of the men accused in an attack on a San Francisco Giants baseball fan at Dodger Stadium last year testified Thursday at a preliminary hearing to determine whether there is enough evidence for the case to go to trial.

    Doreen Sanchez's testimony followed that of the first witness in the long-running hearing to be able to identify Louie Sanchez and Marvin Norwood as the two individuals involved in the confrontation with Bryan Stow, who suffered severe brain trauma following the altercation on March 31, 2011.

    Doreen Sanchez, who is engaged to Norwood, said she drove the two men, along with her brother's 10-year-old son, to and from the game. She said she had heard a scuffle between some Giants fans and the two men at the back of her car.

    "I turned around and I see Marvin holding my brother and pushing these Giants fans off of my brother," Doreen Sanchez said.

    The two suspects went after the Giants fans again after Doreen Sanchez said she heard some trash talk from the Bay Area fans, she said.

    Louie Sanchez and Norwood later returned to the car and told Doreen Sanchez to drive, she said.

    In the car, Louie Sanchez admonished his 10-year-old son, Doreen Sanchez testified.

    "'Porky, you better not saying anything about this. Don't say anything to your mother,'" Doreen Sanchez said her brother said to his son.

    Her testimoney followed that of Mary Dolores Donley -- the first witness to identify the suspects by sight.

    Donley was at the 2011 opening day game with family members. She told the court that she heard Stow's head hit the ground and saw Sanchez kick Stow in the head.

    "I heard something going on right next to us, the profanity.  Being a fan and being around Dodger Stadium you see a lot of scuffles,'' she said. "You automatically turn toward it."

    Defense attorneys implied she identified the defendants from seeing their pictures on television. She said she recognized them from the incident.

    Donley previously identified Sanchez in a police lineup but had not been able to identify Norwood until she saw him in court Thursday. She said he was clearly the man with Sanchez.

    On Wednesday, an off-duty paramedic testified that he rushed  to his friend's aid and tried to shield him from further blows during the parking lot attack.

    Corey Maciel was with fellow Bay Area paramedic Stow and two other men to root for the Giants. He testified that  he quickly realized the severity of Stow's injuries after he saw the back of  his friend's head bounce off the pavement.

    Stow's friend said he saw the assailant -- whom he described as a  Hispanic man between 20 and 30 years old -- repeatedly kicking Stow in the head  with "full wind-up'' kicks after knocking him to the ground with a "haymaker  punch'' to the left side of his head.

    "To my recollection, it was three times,'' Maciel testified.

    Maciel testified that another man -- whom he described as a taller white  man -- "kicked Bryan in the torso, in the ribs.''

    Sanchez, 30, and Norwood, 31, are charged with one felony count each of mayhem, assault by  means likely to produce great bodily injury and battery with serious bodily  injury, along with the allegation that the two inflicted great bodily injury on  Stow. Sanchez also is charged with a misdemeanor count of battery involving a  run-in with a female Giants fan and a misdemeanor battery count for allegedly  swinging his fist at a young man in another group of Giants fans in the parking  lot after the game.

    Stow suffered a skull fracture that resulted in the loss of a portion of  his skull as well as damage to his brain, according to a stipulation signed  by attorneys from both sides and read in court. Stow currently is "unable to walk, has loss of motor skills in his arms  and hands, is unable to carry on a normal conversation, unable to control his  bodily functions and unable to care for himself due to diffuse, severe,  traumatic brain injury,'' according to the document.