When Treating Your Pet Makes Them Sick

View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print

    NEWSLETTERS

    Getty Images
    Eating the gum is not always fatal to pets -- they may just become sickened, but they will need treatment.

    The U.S. Food and Drug Administration has issued a health alert regarding pet treats made by the Central California company Pet Carousel  because they could be contaminated with salmonella.

    The products were distributed nationally by the company that is based in Sanger and are manufactured with pig ears and beef hooves.

    The pig ear treats are packaged under the names "Doggie Delight" and "Pet Carousel." The beef treats are labeled as "Choo Hooves,"  "Dentley's," "Doggie Delight" and "Pet Carousel."

    According to the FDA, consumers who handle dry pet food can become infected with salmonella, especially if they fail to wash their hands after  handling the treats or touching surfaces that have been exposed to them.

    Pets with salmonella can become lethargic, lose their appetites, suffer abdominal pain, and have diarrhea or bloody diarrhea, fever and  vomiting.

    Pets that are infected but healthy can carry salmonella and infect other animals and people, the FDA said.

    Consumers should throw away the potentially contaminated Pet Carousel products to avoid risk of infection.
     

    Bay City News