It's time to dust off those skis and pack those snowboards in the car.
Ski season at Lake Tahoe has arrived, and a number of resorts have either opened or are just days away from opening up the slopes for business.
Opening Day for Tahoe Ski Resorts:
- Heavenly Ski Resort: Friday, Nov. 17
- Squaw Valley: Friday, Nov. 17
- Alpine Meadows: Saturday, Nov. 18
- Kirkwood Mountain Resort: Wednesday, Nov. 22
- Northstar California Resort: Thursday, Nov. 23
- Boreal Mountain Resort: Open
- Mt. Rose Ski Tahoe: Open
- Sugar Bowl Ski Resort: No opening date announced
- Sierra At Tahoe: No opening date announced
- Diamond Peak: No opening date announced
- Homewood Mountain Resort: No opening date announced
However, Caltrans warns people planning to head into the Sierra over the holiday weekend to stop by auto supply stores.
Drivers using Interstate 80 from Kingvale to the Donner Lake interchange must use chains. They're necessary for all vehicles, except 4-wheel drives and those with snow tires.
The National Highway Transportation Safety Administration encourages ski lovers to keep jumper cables, flashlights, blankets, water, food, shovels, and snow chains handy. Drivers are encouraged to stay with their cars and keep the vehicles' tail pipes clear.
If you're headed to the #Sierra this weekend, @CaltransDist3 says you better have chains or cables. Watch this to learn to put them and practice before you're in the snow on via @edmunds https://t.co/n4F4cHTkxh@nbcbayarea pic.twitter.com/opYEx6h64a— Kris Sanchez (@KrisNBC) November 17, 2017