A second San Francisco Municipal Railway cable car operator accused of pocketing fare money made an appearance in court Thursday afternoon and was released from jail pending arraignment.
David Reyes, 55, who was arrested Wednesday evening, faces felony charges of misappropriation of public funds and embezzlement.
Assistant District Attorney Stephanie Lee today said that Reyes may have taken anywhere from $200 to $400 per shift. She estimated the total loss in the "tens of thousands."
Reyes, who according to defense attorney Sam Lasser has no prior criminal history, was released on his own recognizance and ordered to return to court on May 10 for entry of plea and for identification of counsel.
Muni spokesman Paul Rose said Reyes has worked for the agency for 19 years, including 15 as a cable car operator. He is currently on leave pending the outcome of the investigation.
Reyes is the second cable car operator to be arrested this month in connection with an investigation by the Police Department's Muni Task Force.
Cable car operator Albert Williams, 61, of American Canyon, was arrested on April 19 and faces the same charges as Reyes.
Lee, who is also prosecuting Williams' case, said in court last week that a search of his home found at least $32,000 in a safe and multiple receipts for luxury items.
Williams was arraigned and entered a not guilty plea on April 20 and has a court date scheduled for May 8. Bail was set at $50,000 and he is no longer in custody, according to jail records.
Prosecutors have not alleged any collaboration between Williams and Reyes.
Muni director Ed Reiskin said after Williams' arrest that the agency will explore long-term options including the elimination of on-board cash fare payments for cable cars.