A very popular dog park in the South Bay was closed Monday after a dog named Collin died minutes after visiting the park.
Colin and his owner Jennifer Tian went to the Butcher dog park in San Jose's Cambian neighborhood on Saturday. Colin, a Shiba Inu, throw up in the park and Tian said she instantly knew something was seriously wrong with him.
She rushed him to her vet, but by the time they arrived, Colin had suffered a seizure and was not breathing. The animal care workers couldn't bring him back.
Because of the possibility he could have been intentionally poisoned at the park, animal control closed it until the dog's necropsy is complete.
Tian said the vet told her over the weekend Colin probably died after ingesting something toxic.
On Monday Tian mention Colin recently had treatment for a tick-borne disease that can cause anemia or lung damage. The deputy director of San Jose's Animal Care and Services says their vets found other medical conditions in the dog's records that they're looking into, but added until they can rule out poison Butcher Dog Park will remained closed.
There have been no other poisoning reports at San Jose dog parks, but Sunnyvale police issued a warning in early March after rat poison was found at the Los Palmas dog park on two separate occasions.
No animals died in Sunnyvale.