Fireman Injured After Falling Through Roof

The firefighter suffered burns to his hand after falling partially through the roof of a home in Fremont.

View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print

    NEWSLETTERS

    TK
    AP
    An unattended barbecue appears to have been the cause of a two-alarm blaze in Fremont on Monday.

    Fire officials said an unattended barbecue appears to have been the cause of a two-alarm blaze in Fremont Monday morning that damaged two homes and injured a firefighter.

    The fire was reported shortly before 5:30 a.m. at 37149 Dondero Way and spread to the house next door at 37141 Dondero Way, Fremont fire Battalion Chief Jim Martin said.

    Firefighters extinguished the blaze in about 45 minutes, Martin said.

    A firefighter who was on the roof of one of the homes fell partially through the roof and suffered burns and blisters to his hand, according to Martin. The firefighter was treated and released at the scene, he said.

    No other injuries were reported in the fire, which displaced a total of 10 people and two dogs from the two homes, Martin said.

    The American Red Cross was contacted to provide temporary shelter for those who were displaced.

    Fire officials estimated that the blaze caused about $550,000 in damage to the structure of the houses and about $100,000 in damage to the homes' contents.