PG&E Fined for Worker's Electrocution

Friday, Sep 17, 2010  |  Updated 7:00 AM PDT
View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print
PG&E Fined for Worker's Electrocution

Maximiliano Martinez was installing a transformer in a vault in a Benicia residential area on March 17 when the 26-year-old PG&E employee was electrocuted.

Pacific Gas & Electric has been fined $176,000 for the March electrocution of a utility worker in Benicia.

The California Department of Industrial Relations levied the fine Thursday after reviewing a Cal-OSHA report alleging lax enforcement of safety rules designed to protect employees.

Maximiliano Martinez was installing a transformer in a vault in a Benicia residential area on March 17 when the 26-year-old PG&E employee was electrocuted.

The San Francisco Chronicle says Cal-OSHA faulted the utility for what it called a "serious willful accident related" violation.

Department of Industrial Relations spokeswoman Krisann Chasarik says it's the sixth death of a PG&E employee investigated by Cal/OSHA. PG&E was found to be at fault in a 2008 electrocution that led to nearly $40,000 in fines.

Get the latest headlines sent to your inbox!
View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print
Leave Comments
Bay Area Proud
Bay Area Proud is NBC Bay... Read more
Follow Us
Sign up to receive news and updates that matter to you.
Send Us Your Story Tips
Check Out