Stow Family Sues Dodgers

The 42-year-old Bay Area paramedic was attacked March 31 outside Dodger Stadium.

View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print

    NEWSLETTERS

    Bryan Stow's family filed a lawsuit against the Los Angeles Dodgers and owner Frank McCourt on Tuesday, seeking an unspecified sum to cover his ongoing medical costs.

    Timeline: Bryan Stow Case

    Stow Family Sues Dodgers

    [LA] Stow Family Sues Dodgers
    "The medical expense involved in something like this is massive" said Thomas Girardi, the Stow family attorney.

    The lawsuit (PDF) claims the Dodgers are liable for the attack on Stow that left him in a coma.
     
    "The medical expense involved in something like this is massive" said Thomas Girardi, the Stow family attorney.

    Girardi filed the lawsuit against the team in Los Angeles Superior Court on Tuesday. The lawsuit claims the Dodgers organization has "shown a total disregard for public safety," leaving the 42-year-old paramedic father of two vulnerable to attack on Opening Day.

    Raw Video: Stow Family Praises LAPD For Arrest

    [BAY] Raw Video: Stow Family Praises LAPD For Arrest
    "We were beyond happy," said Erin Stow, Bryan Stow's sister of her family's reaction when they heard a suspect was in custody. "We were very excited that one of the pieces of the puzzle had been put in place," said Ann Stow, Bryan's mother.

    "This is not a case where the family 'wants money.' This is a case where they want to take care of him and make sure those kids are taken care of," Girardi said.

    The suit also alleges that the Dodgers did not stop a growing gang presence in the stadium and that security suffered because it was a lower priority than funding the McCourts' "lavish lifestyle." 

    "They got rid of two thirds of their security people over the past two years," Girardi said. "They fired their security director. And to give you some idea of how inadequate it was, when the finally got the chief of the LA police over there, he said, hey this is what you need."

    Among the defendants named in the civil suit are the assailants as well as the Dodger organization and owner Frank McCourt as an individual.

    Stow has been in a medically induced coma since the attack. He was transported to a San Francisco hospital on May 16.

    Bonds Provides Scholarship for Stow Children

    Girardi said Tuesday that Giants slugger Barry Bonds has provided a scholarship for Stow's children.

    Stow is a single father. He has a son and a daughter who are both in grade school.

    Last month, a Los Angeles County-USC Medical Center spokeswoman confirmed that Bonds visited Stow in the hospital.

    Sources close to Stow told NBC that Bonds also spent an hour in Stow's room and left a signed baseball bat for Stow's children. At the time, there was no mention of a donation to a college fund.
     

    Suspect Arrested in Stow Case

    Giovanni Ramirez, 31, of Los Angeles, was arrested Sunday in connection with the case, according to police. He was booked on suspicion of assault with a deadly weapon -- the foot he allegedly used to kick his victim -- and held in lieu of $1 million bail.

    Investigators were preparing police lineups with multiple witnesses to the March 31 attack. Lineups ask witnesses to identify or recognize a suspect in person and generally produce stronger evidence compared with a witness choosing a suspect from a series of photographs.

    The two other suspects -- a man sought for his involvement in the assault and a female thought to have been the getaway driver -- remain at large, police said.

    Prosecutors were reviewing the case, according to the District Attorney's Office, which noted that Ramirez has two prior felony convictions and remains jailed on a parole hold.

    Last week, LAPD Chief Charlie Beck said the Dodgers donated an additional $100,000 to increase the reward in the case to $250,000. The Dodgers announced last month they had donated $25,000 to the reward fund.