Man Wanted in Connection with Fatal Stabbing of Girlfriend Nabbed in Redwood City

San Mateo police arrested a homicide suspect Monday evening after detectives conducting a surveillance operation spotted him in Redwood City.

An hours-long standoff ended with Anthony Kirincic being taken into custody at his parent's house, police said. 

Kirincic allegedly fatally stabbed his 34-year-old ex-girlfriend Colleen Straw inside her home on the 1500 block of South B Street in San Mateo Saturday. 

Straw dialled 911 herself and said that she had been stabbed several times. However, paramedics who arrived on the scene were unable to save her, police said.

Around 6 p.m. Monday, the Redwood City Police Department asked the public to avoid Massachusetts Avenue between Arizona Way and Alameda de las Pulgas due to police activity.

Just before 7 p.m., San Mateo police issued a statement via Nixle indicating that detectives conducting surveillance believed they had spotted the homicide suspect in that vicinity.

Police closed several intersections, evacuated some residents and issued a shelter in place order for others while they worked to take Kirincic into custody.

Around 7:45 p.m. the San Mateo Police Department announced via Twitter that the suspect had been taken into custody, and a tactical team was just "wrapping up."

According to a department statement, a slew of law enforcement agencies have "worked 24/7 over the past three days to pursue every possible lead, and conduct surveillance operations on places" that Kirincic was likely to vist.

Kirincic is in custody and has been charged with homicide, according to police. Bail has been set at $5 million. 

The man who remains at large more than two days after allegedly fatally stabbing his ex-girlfriend, recently spent 60 days in jail due to a previous domestic violence incident with the same woman, police said. Marianne Favro reports.

This isn't Kirincic's first brush with the law, though. 

Court records show that police arrested Kirincic on Sept. 26 after he hit Straw in the face, threatened her and tried to smother her with a pillow. The suspect pleaded guilt to domestic violence — a felony assault charge was dropped — and he was ordered to spend 60 days in jail and stay away from Straw.

While he was behind bars, though, Kirincic allegedly beat up an inmate.

Upon getting out of jail, Kirincic was once again arrested — this time on a battery charge involving the inmate.

He was let go after posting $10,000 bail and was due back in court Monday but was on the run as a murder suspect by then. 

NBC Bay Area's Marianne Favro and Cheryl Hurd contributed to this report. 

Copyright BAYCN - Bay City News
Contact Us