Jury Finds San Francisco Man Guilty of Sexually Abusing 6-Year-Old Boy he Babysat

gavel background-close-up-court-1415558 edited
Pexels/CC

Jurors in San Francisco Tuesday found a 51-year-old man guilty of sexually abusing a 6-year-old boy whom he babysat, prosecutors said.

Jose Francisco Gonzalez was found guilty of two counts of forced oral copulation, one count of forced lewd acts upon a child and one count of committing a lewd act upon a child.

According to the district attorney's office, Gonzalez faces a maximum term of life in prison.

"The facts of this case are extremely disturbing," District Attorney George Gascon said in a statement. "Ensuring such men never touch another child is one of the most important work we do."

According to court documents, Gonzalez was a friend of the boy's family and rented a room out of their San Francisco home. The family also entrusted Gonzalez with babysitting the boy and his 3-year-old brother as the boys' mother worked a night shift.

The sexual abuse came to light in March 2017 when the 3-year-old told his mother that he saw his older brother perform a sexual act on Gonzalez. The 6-year-old victim then confessed to his mother that over the course of several months, Gonzalez had been forcing him to perform sex acts.

Gonzalez was taken into custody on March 15, 2017, according to jail records.

During the trial, the victim described Gonzalez as his "big best friend" and said that Gonzalez had told him not to tell his mother because it would make Gonzalez cry.

The 3-year-old also testified, saying, "We were keeping it a secret ... but it's not a secret anymore," prosecutors said.

San Francisco Superior Court Judge Linda Colfax will sentence Gonzalez, although a sentencing date has not yet been determined.

Copyright BAYCN - Bay City News
Contact Us