SJ Crews Blame Pot Grow for House Fire

Sunday, Aug 29, 2010  |  Updated 10:45 AM PDT
View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print
SJ Crews Blame Pot Grow for House Fire

Mike Anderson

The couple and the dog survived, the house on Rockdale Drive was a total loss.

Firefighters responded to a one-alarm fire in a home in South San  Jose this morning and uncovered a marijuana grow operation, a fire captain  said.

Units went to the 4000 block of Plainfield Court where fire had  been reported in the garage of a split-level home at around 6:45 a.m., San  Jose fire Capt. Chuck Rangel said.

The fire was controlled at about 7:15 a.m., Rangel said, and  appears to have been caused by faulty electrical wiring associated with the  pot growing operation established in the home.

PG&E service had been bypassed and internal wiring was manipulated  to avoid detection. Utility crews went to the home after the fire to secure  the location.

No one was in the home when firefighters arrived. Police are  investigating.

About four rooms were dedicated to growing pot, Rangel said.
 

Get the latest headlines sent to your inbox!
View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print
Leave Comments
Bay Area Proud
Bay Area Proud is NBC Bay... Read more
Follow Us
Sign up to receive news and updates that matter to you.
Send Us Your Story Tips
Check Out