Man Holding Toddler Rescues Neighbor From Burning Building

View Comments ()
|
Email
|
Print

    NEWSLETTERS

    AP
    Luc Martin, 30, was fleeing a fire at his apartment in the Outer Sunset Thursday morning -- barefoot and with his toddler in his arms -- when he heard someone yelling for help.

    A heroic rescue story is emerging from a fire at San Francisco apartment building.

    Luc Martin, 30, was fleeing a fire at his apartment in the Outer Sunset Thursday morning -- barefoot and with his toddler in his arms -- when he heard someone yelling for help. It was nis neighbor, 71-year-old Georgia Pyles.

    Pyles was crawling on the floor, trying to escape her smoke-filled apartment when Martin heard her call for help. He told the Chronicle, "I just gave her my shoulder. I had my baby in my arm, so I really couldn't do much. I just helped out."

    Pyles was taken to St. Francis Memorial Hospital to be treated for smoke inhalation. She was  in critical condition. Martin played down his heroic act.

    "It wasn't like I risked life and limb to get her out. I still didn't realize how bad the fire was," Martin said. "I thought it was a small fire in the corner of the bedroom, but it spread really quickly."

    Investigators believe an overturned lamp in Pyles' bedroom started the fire. The fires caused an estimated $1 million to the building.