An additonal eight feet of snow in the Sierra mountains caused Placer County emergency officials to issue a warning about the potential for gas leaks and carbon monoxide poisoning.
The Tahoe area has seen snow in record levels this season and it is piling up high enough that it might block home ventilation systems.
"There are definite challenges in the Tahoe area," Rui Cunha, Placer County emergency services manager told KCRA's Mike TeSelle.
Cunha told TeSelle the piles of snow are so heavy and so high that they could cause gas lines to crack. A crack could lead to a gas vapor which could build up inside homes.
"If you smell gas when you get to your cabin, you need to call 911," Cunha urged.
Furthermore, with snow piles approaching 30-feet high in spots, Cunha is advising residents to make sure snow is not blocking ventilation areas.
Cunha says without proper ventilation, carbon monoxide can build up inside homes.