Submerged Van, Woman's Body Pulled From Bay

Recovery effort was suspended late Friday after crews unable to pull vehicle out of water

View Comments (


    It took more than 12 hours to do it, but San Francisco fire officials were able to remove a van from the bay waters after a woman jumped a curb and plunged to her death.

    A search for a driver who reportedly crashed into the waters of the San Francisco Bay Friday afternoon has turned into a recovery effort, officials said.

    That effort was suspended late Friday, but resumed Saturday morning.  Divers were in the water by 8 a.m.  The van was pulled from the water around 10:30 a.m. 

    A woman's body was found inside. The coroner will perform an autopsy on the unidentified victim to see if she suffered some kind of medical problem prior to the crash. 

    What caused her to crash in the bay was also a mystery.

    Search for Driver, Van in Bay Waters Suspended

    [BAY] Search for Driver, Van in Bay Waters Suspended
    Rescuers will resume recovery effort Saturday. Jean Elle reports.

    San Francisco police and the United States Coast Guard spent Friday evening searching for the vehicle and driver, who reportedly drove into the bay waters at 5:07 p.m. Police said they were on the scene by 5:12 p.m.

    Crews were able to locate the vehicle at around 8 p.m., but were unable to get a tow truck attached to the van.

    Police said the body of the driver was still inside the van when they located the vehicle. She is believed to be the only victim. 

    Witnesses said they saw a woman driving a gold van go into the waters off Marina Green. One person said the driver jumped the curb and went straight into the bay. 

    One of the first boats to reach the vehicle was a private vessel. Three people on that boat attempted to get the occupant out of the submerged vehicle, but they could not. They said they pounded on the window, and were able to crack one of the windows, but could not rouse the driver.

    Those three people ended up needing to be rescued themselves.

    The occupants of the civilian boat were not injured, according to police.