Just as Mike’s baby is born, the mother is showing signs of delusional schizophrenia. When her destructive episodes escalate, she’s incarcerated and Mike and his baby daughter, Dani, are evicted from their apartment. Unable to work and care for his infant at the same time, Mike loses his job. He and Dani are suddenly homeless. Desperate for a safe place, he reaches out to homeless shelters but is repeatedly turned away.
In NO MAN’S LAND, NBC Bay Area’s Investigative Unit uncovers systemic barriers putting families, like Mike and Dani, in danger by denying basic services to single fathers. Our team holds public officials accountable for a complex web of anti-male biases, racism and outdated rules that often shut these fathers out of housing, child care and even emergency shelter.
You can watch the full series now in a number of ways:
- Scroll down this page to watch all 5 episodes (plus the bonus chapter) below
- Watch on your Roku device: add the NBC BAY AREA channel to your collection, open the channel and select the NO MAN'S LAND playlist
- Watch on your Apple TV device: download the NBC BAY AREA app to your collection, open the app and select the NO MAN'S LAND playlist
- Watch on the NBC Bay Area YouTube channel: Click here to load the playlist
Update: Watch the broadcast version of this special which includes updates here. (Original airdate April 10, 2021)
First, call 211 to access your local county services.
Single fathers, families and essential workers:
- Village Connect
- Fathering from Within (fatherhood workshop series)
- The BROTHAS (male support group)
- C.O.P.E. Family Support Center
- Supporting Father Involvement (SFI) Program
- Dads Evoking Change
Emergency shelter resources :
- Call 211
- Abode Services, Fremont, CA (mentioned in story)
- Opportunity House, Vacaville, CA (mentioned in story)
Housing & formerly incarcerated resources:
Working parents and child care resources:
If you're an essential worker or have a child with special needs, you may qualify for free child care in San Francisco.
- Emergency Child Care During COVID-19 for Essential Workers + Children At-Risk or Special Needs
- Children's Council San Francisco