A Berkeley house that shifted on its foundation Saturday evening ruptured gas lines and caused a chimney to collapse.
The house, located on 3100 Wheeler St., looks as if it has shifted two or three feet, Berkeley Fire Department Battalion Chief Brian Harryman said.
The homeowner was upstairs in the house at around 9 p.m. when the shift struck, but he was not injured. Red Cross is helping him find housing for the night.
PG&E had a special crew on the scene to turn off the gas and water lines.
A neighborhood evacuation was not necessary, Harryman said.