Clean-up crews have begun sanitizing the Chipotle in Billerica.
The restaurant is voluntarily shutting its' doors after one employee got Norovirus.
Two others are suspected of having it.
The local board of health says Chipotle notified them Tuesday afternoon after the workers called out sick.
Sandra Giroux, the Chair of the Billerica Board of Health says the restaurant is now in the process of throwing out all the food items and sanitizing the entire restaurant from "top to bottom."
The restaurant confirms a total of four employees aren't feeling well, but that no customers have become sick and that:
"Any employees who reported feeling ill will be tested and held out of the restaurant until they fully recover."
This incident comes after a Chipotle in Boston's Cleveland Circle was shut down in December.
More than 140 people, mostly Boston College students got sick with Norovirus.
Now the Billerica Board of Health says it's unclear when the restaurant will open again.
"That means inspections, everything has to be sanitized, also the employees are not allowed to return to work until they are five days symptom free," said Giroux.
Some regular customers say this won't stop them from eating at the Billerica Chipotle.
Customer Ella McGaunn said, "You can put in place policies for workers to go home, keep things as clean as you can, but any public area where people are going in and out is likely to spread diseases."
The Mass. Dept. Of Health says if you ate at the restaurant and are concerned you are symptomatic to call your primary care physician and the State Division of Epidemiology and Immunization at 617-983-6550.