Despite Stadium Uncertainty, Beane Stands by Long-term Plan for A's Youngsters - NBC Bay Area

Despite Stadium Uncertainty, Beane Stands by Long-term Plan for A's Youngsters

    processing...

    NEWSLETTERS

    The Dos and Don'ts of Good Sleep
    Joe Stiglich
    Despite stadium uncertainty, Beane stands by long-term plan for A's youngsters

    The deterioration of ballpark talks at the Peralta site won't affect the A's grand plan on the baseball side of things.

    At least that's what vice president of baseball operations Billy Beane told reporters Monday as the Winter Meetings opened in Lake Buena Vista, Fla.

    The A's promoted a number of highly regarded minor leaguers last season who showed promise that they could be future foundation pieces. Along those lines, Beane and his staff planned to target some of those youngsters for long-term contract extensions, with an eye toward generating momentum as a new ballpark was built near downtown Oakland.

    The A's will still look to lock up some of those players, Beane said, even after last week's news that the Peralta Community College District board halted negotiations for the team to build a new ballpark on land that sits near Laney College.

    "I think it's still a strategy we try to embark on," Beane said of signing young players.

    Consider third baseman Matt Chapman and first baseman Matt Olson, who both entrenched themselves last season as rookies, as two obvious candidates for long-term deals at some point. But they aren't the only two.

    When could the first deals come?

    "Realistically, the sooner the better," Beane said. "Certainly we've got between now and spring training to introduce the idea. But probably more sooner than later."

    It's an uncertain time for this franchise. Will the A's look elsewhere to build in Oakland? They don't seem thrilled with the idea of revisiting the current Coliseum site or Howard Terminal as possible locations. Could majority owner John Fisher consider selling? And if so, does that open the door to the franchise leaving the Bay Area? It doesn't seem any scenario should be counted out right now.

    No one representing the club, including team president Dave Kaval, has spoken publicly about ballpark plans since the Peralta talks abruptly ended Wednesday.

    As far as baseball operations go, it only makes sense to continue down the path that they recently committed to. The only bad course of action for the A's is not to take any action at all.

    Beane and general manager David Forst need to stay the course and continue their commitment to young players, crossing their fingers that the business side of the operation can pivot and find a new direction for building a ballpark.