Hundreds of people are expected to pack into San Jose's already packed Santana Row tonight for a TEDx event.
It's called TEDxSanJoseCA and so far 500 people have registered for "TEDGlobal 2011: The Stuff of Life" which will be livestreamed directly from Edinburgh, Scotland.
TEDx is a spin off of TED, which stands for Technology Entertainment and Design. The group's basic premice is to desseminate "ideas worth spreading." It started back in 1984 as a conference that brough the worlds of technology, entertainment and design together.
Each speaker tells his or her story in 18-minutes or less.
In San Jose Wednesday you will hear from the following people:
- Pamela Meyer, Lie Detector – shows us how to take back the truth
- Ben Goldacre, Debunker – tears down bad science
- Misha Glenny, Underworld Investigator – exposes criminal globalization
- Mikko Hypponen, Cyber Security Expert – anticipates the next killer virus
- Karen Tse, Anti-Torture Activist – operates at the intersection of criminal law and human rights
- Eddi Reader, Singer/Songwriter – sings of love, longing and introspection
The event is happening at 8 p.m. at Santana Row’s Park Valencia across from Left Bank Brasserie. It's free, but registration is required because of limited seating.