A deli in Concord that served meat where nearly 50 people were sickened by norovirus re-opened Thursday morning.
Dr. Marilyn Underwood of the Contra Costa County Health Department said that the agency began receiving calls on Monday from dozens of people who became sick after eating at the same office function, which had been catered by the North Park Deli on Nelson Avenue.
Health inspectors visited the deli and determined that at least 2 employees were sick with the norovirus and that some employees did not follow proper hand-washing procedures when preparing food for the catered event, Underwood said.
Of the 110 people served at the catered event, 45 have come down with norovirus symptoms, she said.
Underwood said the deli was shut down on Tuesday for an extensive cleaning and given a re-fresher course on washing before being allowed to re-open.
The most common symptoms of the gastrointestinal disease are diarrhea, throwing up, nausea and stomach pain, according to the Centers for Disease Control. Other symptoms can include fever, headache and body aches.
The owner, Johnny Kim, has been very forthcoming about the problem.