Microwave Sparks Fire, Causes Roughly $50,000 Worth of Damage to Peninsula Home - NBC Bay Area
Peninsula

Peninsula

The latest news from around the Peninsula

Microwave Sparks Fire, Causes Roughly $50,000 Worth of Damage to Peninsula Home

    processing...

    NEWSLETTERS

    Microwave Sparks Fire, Causes Roughly $50,000 Worth of Damage to Peninsula Home
    NBC Bay Area
    File photo

    A structure fire caused by a microwave in a home just outside of Atherton caused an estimated $50,000 in damage Saturday, according to Menlo Park Fire Protection District officials.

    A resident in the single-story, single-family 1960s-era home at 2000 Stockbridge Ave. called at 10:42 a.m. Saturday to report that a microwave in the kitchen was on fire, fire officials said Monday.

    Firefighters found smoke coming from the front door that was visible in windows and called for additional support. The fire was knocked down shortly before 11 a.m. with no injuries reported, fire officials said.

    Damage was estimated at around $50,000 to the 1,600-square-foot structure and its contents.

    The fire started with the microwave, but the exact cause remains under investigation. The resident told investigators it had last been used about five hours before the fire began.

    Get the latest from NBC Bay Area anywhere, anytime
    • Download the App

      Available for IOS and Android