San Francisco's so-called nudity ban has been in effect for one year as of Saturday and nude activists are staging a rally and body freedom parade to mark the anniversary.
The nudist community has spoken out and undressed many times in the past year in protest against the city ordinance authored by San Francisco Supervisor Scott Weiner that bans public nudity.
The law was implemented on Feb. 1, 2013 after it was approved by a 6-5 vote by the board in December 2012.
There are exceptions under the ban, including for children under 5 and for attendees at certain permitted events such as the Folsom Street Fair and Bay to Breakers footrace.
Many nudists, who call themselves proponents of body freedom, will hold a noon rally Saturday at Jane Warner Plaza at the intersection of Castro, 17th and Market streets.
If there is rain, the protest will be held at the Center for Sex and Culture at 1349 Mission St.
Protest leader Gypsy Taub said in the year since she was arrested for standing naked in front of City Hall on the first day of the ban there has been growing acceptance of the body freedom movement.
She said nude supporters successfully held a naked wedding on the steps of City Hall last month at which police allowed naked dancing for about 30 minutes.
In a blog post about the protest, she said organizers were working to obtain a permit to avoid risking arrest at the anniversary rally.
At the protest last year, four people were cited and detained by police.
The ordinance stipulates that violators will be cited and fined $100 with higher penalties for additional offenses.