Man Dies After Cigarette Lights Gas From Stove

Thursday, Feb 13, 2014  |  Updated 5:24 AM PDT
View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print
Man Dies After Cigarette Lights Gas From Stove

Getty Images

FILE PHOTO: A model holds a lit cigarette (Photo by Stefan Gosatti/Getty Images)

advertisement

Officials say a man critically burned after lighting a cigarette in a North Texas house that filled with gas as it was being heated with a kitchen stove has died.

The Fort Worth Star-Telegram reports 57-year-old Edward Able, who had second- and third-degree burns, died Wednesday at a Dallas hospital. He was injured in the fire Sunday night at a home in Sansom Park, located just northwest of Fort Worth.

Police Chief Randy Driver said the home was being heated with a kitchen stove. He said appears that when the flame went out, the gas went up through a vent that didn't go outside but went into the attic.

Driver has said Able was burned when he lit a cigarette that ignited the fumes.

Get the latest headlines sent to your inbox!
View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print
Leave Comments
Bay Area Proud
Bay Area Proud is NBC Bay... Read more
Follow Us
Sign up to receive news and updates that matter to you.
Send Us Your Story Tips
Check Out