The lease is up on Saint John Coltrane Church in San Francisco, and parishioners hope that they'll be able to stay on Fillmore Street.
A petition hopes to communicate to their landlords inside the West Bay Conference Center, who want to double the rent, that they should keep the community subsidized rental rates in place so it can stay.
Archbishop Franzo King and Reverend Mother Marina King founded the church in 1971, originally called the Yardbird Temple, after seeing the late jazz saxophonist Coltrane in concert in 1965. The name was changed in 1982 when they joined the African Orthodox Church.
The church views the post-1957 Coltrane, who had then emerged from drug addiction and set on a spiritual path, as a Sound Baptist who was able to unite with God through music.
Sunday mass, which is preceded by a weekly meditation set to Coltrane's "A Love Supreme" album, is open to the public, and the church also does food and clothing giveaways by appointment.