No Charges Filed Against Man Held in Killing of Infant - NBC Bay Area

No Charges Filed Against Man Held in Killing of Infant

    processing...

    NEWSLETTERS

    No Charges in Baby Autumn Slaying

    The man accused of shooting 1-year-old in Compton was released from jail while detectives continue investigating. Gadi Schwartz reports for the NBC4 News at 11 p.m. on Feb. 25, 2016. (Published Thursday, Feb. 25, 2016)

    Prosecutors have declined to file charges against a 23-year-old man with a criminal record arrested earlier this week on suspicion of killing a year-old girl who was shot in the face while in her crib at her family's Compton home.

    Detectives presented their case against Ray Howard Patterson to the Los Angeles County District Attorney's Office, but prosecutors have asked for further investigation and gave no further comment.

    Patterson was arrested around 2:30 p.m. Monday near Bullis Road and Rosecrans Avenue in Compton in connection with the Feb. 9 killing of Autumn Johnson, the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department reported.

    Patterson is being held without bail and could make his initial court appearance in the case Wednesday if the District Attorney's Office files charges.

    Autumn was asleep in a crib when the driver of a blue four-door Chevrolet Impala stopped in front of the converted garage where her family lived in the 300 block of North Holly Avenue, according to the sheriff's department.

    A man got out and opened fire, and the baby was shot in the face. Sheriff's deputies rushed her to St. Francis Medical Center in Lynwood, but doctors were unable to save the infant. Investigators said there were two men in the car, which was last seen being driven south on Holly Avenue. They believe the shooting was gang-related and that the infant's father was likely the target of the shooting.

    The search is continuing for the driver of the car. News of the arrest came just hours after the Los Angeles County Board of Supervisors formalized a $25,000 reward for information leading to the girl's killers.

    The city of Compton and the FBI have also posted $25,000 rewards each, for a total reward of $75,000.

    "The senseless and tragic death of baby Autumn has left her family and community devastated," Supervisor Mark Ridley-Thomas said.

    Autumn's parents are expecting their second child. A funeral service for Autumn was held on Saturday.

    Ridley-Thomas asked anyone with more information about the attack to call sheriff's homicide Detectives Jonas Shipe or Todd Anderson at (323) 890- 5500 or Crime Stoppers at (800) 222-8477.

    Patterson has multiple convictions dating from 2012, according to court records.

    In September 2013, he pleaded no contest to resisting an officer and was sentenced to 365 days in jail and three years of formal probation. In October 2014, he pleaded no contest to grand theft and was sentenced to 16 months in custody, to be served in county jail.

    Currently, Patterson is facing burglary and larceny charges stemming from a May 26, 2015, incident, according to court records.