49ers Fans Tortured by Three Hour Muni Bus Ride to Candlestick - NBC Bay Area

49ers Fans Tortured by Three Hour Muni Bus Ride to Candlestick

The punishment for 49ers fans trying to take Muni to the game Sunday was a three hour ride.



    Battle of the Bays: The Backstory You Need
    Getty Images
    SAN FRANCISCO, CA - JANUARY 22: A fan of the San Francisco 49ers tailgates in the parking lot prior to the 49ers playing against the New York Giants during the NFC Championship Game at Candlestick Park on January 22, 2012 in San Francisco, California. (Photo by Thearon Henderson/Getty Images)

    A small group of 49ers fans were in for some special treatment -- read: punishment -- for their choices before Sunday afternoon's 20-17 loss to the New York Giants.

    They chose to rode Muni to Candlestick Park.

    The ride from California and Van Ness to the stadium took a hardly-believable three hours, ten minutes, according to the San Francisco Chronicle, who had a columnist on board the "Candlestick Express."

    The bus ride began at 11:30 a.m. at California and Van Ness with a small group of passengers boarding the very first Candlestick Express of the day with high hopes to attend pregame tailgates and peruse the 49ers store, the newspaper reported. An hour later, the bus had yet to reach the Interstate-280 interchange, meaning tailgating was out -- and so was getting to the game before kickoff, if this continued much longer.

    Raw Video: Jed York After the Game

    [BAY] Raw Video: Jed York After the Game
    "Obviously today is a tough day."
    (Published Monday, Jan. 23, 2012)

    The bus ride had to fight the legendary Candlestick game-day traffic, which according to reports had clogged roads and off-ramps as early as 9:15 a.m. The ride became "too much" at 2:10 p.m., when after close to three hours -- much of which had just been spent stalled on the freeway going nowhere -- some of the fans exited the bus via the emergency exit and began walking to the stadium on the shoulder of the freeway.

    The bus eventually passed the walkers, and rolled up to Candlestick about 45 minutes before kickoff, covering the eight miles from start to finish in thee hours and ten minutes.