San Rafael Barricade Over, Suspect Dead - NBC Bay Area

San Rafael Barricade Over, Suspect Dead

Stand-off lasted 28 hours



    A man who fired at least one shot toward the Richmond San Rafael Bridge Wednesday, shut the bridge down for a time. (Published Wednesday, Aug. 17, 2011)

    A marathon stand-off in the Marin is over.  San Rafael police announced when they entered the hotel room of a barricaded man they found him dead on the floor.  A woman was also in the room but alive.

    Police told reporters the last time they spoke to the suspect, Peter James Thomas,  was late Wednesday night. Thomac had been barricaded in the Extended Stay Deluxe hotel in San Rafael since 8:30 a.m. Wednesday.

    After hours of silence police said they drilled holes in his room so they insert cameras to see what was going on. They said when the man was not seen moving for an extended period of time they entered the room and found him dead.

    They would not say how they thought he died. They also didn't have answers about the circumstances involving the woman who was alive in the room when police broke through the door. They would only say the woman "was in their custody."

    Police Standoff Enters 15th Hour in San Rafael

    [BAY] Police Standoff Enters 15th Hour in San Rafael
    Police, CHP and Swat officers continue to work a standoff situation at the Extended Stay Hotel in San Rafael. A suspected gunman wanted in a stabbing and today's hotel shooting is holed up inside. Investigators say the man claims his girlfriend is also inside his hotel room. After a nightmare evening commute along I-580, drivers may face more delays in the morning. NBC Bay Area's Cheryl Hurd reports from the scene of the standoff.
    (Published Wednesday, Aug. 17, 2011)

    The stand off impacted tens of thousands of drivers. The CHP closed I-580 in San Rafael for hours after the man shot a gun toward vehicles. I-580 was finally reopened to drivers at 1:05 a.m. Thursday after police were able to use a crane to drop a large piece of metal in front of the hotel room window.

    Police said Thomac was suspected of stabbing a clerk during a shoplifting attempt at United Markets on Sunday. He was also wanted by the Marin County Sheriff's Office on a $70,000 warrant for burglary, weapons and drug violations.