An elderly man died after a fire broke out inside a house in Alameda Monday morning, according to fire officials.
The blaze, which burned along the 2300 block of Eagle Avenue, was reported before 6 a.m. and knocked down in about 30 minutes, but firefighters found the man inside, according to fire officials. He was pronounced dead at the scene.
Neighbors told NBC Bay Area that the victim was an elderly man in his 90s who was a war veteran and kind.
"He was old and we would all try to pitch in and help," neighbor Shirlene Ballard-Grossman said. "He would come out and sit on his porch every morning and everyone would give him food and stuff like that, help him out cause he lived all by himself."
An investigation into what sparked the blaze is ongoing.
Further information was not available.