Three Police Chases Later, Suspect Is in Custody - NBC Bay Area

Three Police Chases Later, Suspect Is in Custody



    Your Highway 1 Bucket List
    Getty Images
    SYDNEY, AUSTRALIA - APRIL 21: A protester wears handcuffs in support of Guantanomo Bay detainee and convicted terrorism supporter David Hicks April 21, 2007 in Sydney, Australia. Hicks was convicted and sentenced to nine months in jail after pleading guilty to a charge of providing material support to terrorism. (Photo by Lisa Maree Williams/Getty Images)

    Police arrested a 31-year-old Richmond parolee in Concord on Tuesday night after three separate foot chases, one of which involved a struggle that left two officers injured, Concord police Lt. Dave Hughes said.

    The case plays out like an episode of Hawaii 5-0.
    Hughes said officers had attempted to stop the man, later identified as Leothurs Futch, at some point Tuesday evening, but he ran away and managed to evade pursuing officers.
    Then, at about 10 p.m., a resident of the 1700 block of Peach Place called police to report that a man had just jumped his fence, Hughes said.
    The man matched the description of the person officers had chased earlier.
    Officers responded and found Futch on Apple Drive near Oak Grove Road.
    He attempted to run away but was captured during a short foot pursuit. He allegedly injured two officers as they were trying to detain him, Hughes said.
    The officers put Futch in a patrol car and drove him to the police station, where he managed to escape again, still handcuffed, out the back of the car, Hughes said.
    The officers quickly caught him and booked him into the Concord City Jail.
    He has since been transported to the Martinez Detention Facility, where he is being held on charges of violating his parole, battery on a peace officer, threatening a peace officer and possession of methamphetamine,  Hughes said.
    The two injured officers were treated at a hospital and released.
    Details about what Futch was on parole for were not immediately  available. His most recent conviction in Contra Costa County was in 1998 for  domestic violence, according to court records.
    Records also show that his parole was revoked for a violation in  January 2002.