An overnight fire threatened a Michelin-star restaurant in San Francisco’s Nob Hill, causing about $30,000 in damage to Acquerello, mostly because firefighters have to break down the garage door to battle the flames.
San Francisco Fire Battalion Chief Steve Bokura said fire broke out in the parking garage below the Italian restaurant on Sacramento Street about 1:30 a.m. on Wednesday. He said a trash fire was smoldering down there, and as is routine, arson investigators are determining what started it.
Firefighters evacuated the apartments above the restaurant for a short time while they extinguished the flames.
There was no damage to the restaurant itself, which has been open for 25 years.