George Floyd

George Floyd Protests Across Bay Area Result in Property Damage, Arrests

Mayor London Breed says the curfew is from 8 p.m. to 5 a.m. and that the National Guard is on standby.

Demonstrations continued in the Bay Area this weekend as part of nationwide protests over the death of George Floyd.

In San Francisco, Mayor London Breed announced the city will be implementing a curfew from 8 p.m. to 5 a.m. Sunday and urged residents to stay home as protests continued to escalate and turn violent.

"We want to make sure our city is a platform for people to express themselves. But when it crosses the line, that's not good for any of us," Breed said. "It's not how you honor the memory of the people who sadly have lost their lives to senseless violence. I want to be clear. We're implementing a curfew. We will have the National Guard on standby. We will do everything we can to protect our city."

Dozens of protesters earlier in the afternoon marched through the city before getting into a tense standoff with police, blocking a freeway offramp.

Later in the evening BART announced before 9 p.m. trains would not stop at Powell Street or the Civic Center in San Francisco due to a civil disturbance.

SFPD Chief Bill Scott late Saturday followed up Breed's announcement of the curfew that the department will not tolerate any people coming into the city and doing harm.

NBC Bay Area's Sky Ranger gives an aerial view as protesters progress through San Francisco Saturday.

Oakland city officials in a media briefing urged people to stay home in hopes of preventing a repeat of the vandalism that broke out late Friday during protests.

The mostly peaceful marches on Friday in Oakland and San Jose were marred by vandalism, a shooting and clashes that injured several officers.

Oakland Mayor Libby Schaaf responded Saturday to the violence and destruction that took place at the end of a mostly peaceful protest against the death of George Floyd Friday night. Christie Smith reports.

Tear gas, flashbang grenades and rubber bullets were fired into a crowd that grew to about 1,000 protesters in downtown San Jose, the capital of Silicon Valley. Demonstrators had temporarily shut down a five-lane section of Highway 101, a major highway.

A San Jose officer was taken to the hospital with injuries that were not life-threatening, said Officer Gina Tepoorten, a department spokeswoman. Police officers’ union spokesman Dustin DeRollo said the officer was punched in the head by protesters and knocked unconscious, while other media reports said the officer was struck by a thrown object.

In Oakland, preliminary information released by the Oakland Police Department shows that a total of 60 suspected looters were detained for investigation. In addition, the department had a total of 18 arrests and six injuries, one citation and one tow.

Local businesses in San Jose boarded up windows in preparation for another night of protests after Friday night's demonstration turned violent. NBC Bay Area's Marianne Favro spoke with San Jose Police Chief Eddie Garcia, who said that just as many if not more officers would be on patrol Saturday night.

City Major Libby Schaaf took to Twitter Saturday and said that while the "rage, anger and grief" amid the killing of George Floyd is justifiable, the "rage crossed the line."

Multiple businesses were damaged and fires were set across the city. "This is not who we are," Schaaf said.

The death of the 46-year-old Floyd, who was recorded on video pleading for air as a Minneapolis police officer knelt on his neck, has shocked the country, including police officers who are usually inclined to withhold comment.

Police chiefs and police unions throughout the state have called it unjustifiable and excessive force.

Contact Us