Fire Breaks Out at Sacramento SPCA

 A small fire broke out early Wednesday at the Sacramento SPCA facility, but all the pets inside survived.

Fire sprinklers are credited with helping to douse the blaze, which broke out at about 1:45 a.m. at the organization’s 40-year-old receiving building at 6201 Florin Perkins Road, said Lesley Kirrene, a representative of the SPCA.

Kirrene also praised firefighters for knocking down the flames fast.

"They responded very quickly and saved literally hundreds of lives," Kirrene added.

Some animals suffered smoke inhalation and were scared after the commotion, but no animals were burned.

The fire, likely caused by an electrical problem, started in a room used for puppies and small dogs.

The SPCA houses about 400 animals on any given day, and cares for more than 12,000 pets annually.

Contact Us