North Bay Man Saves Elderly Lady from Burning Mobile Home

Fire officials say a Petaluma man saved his neighbor's life when he rescued the 87-year-old woman from her burning mobile home.

The Petaluma Fire Battalion Chief says discarded smoking materials or small candles are the likely cause of the fire that started in Mary Newman's home at noon Monday.

Her neighbor, 50-year-old Bruce Baxter, heard smoke alarms and rushed into her house. He found Newman injured and unable to move from her couch, then carried her to safety.

Newman suffered some burns and was taken to the burn center at Saint Francis Memorial Hospital in San Francisco.

Fire officials say Baxter likely will receive a commendation from the city for his effort.

Contact Us