San Jose Hostage Suspect Surrenders to Police After Tense Six-Hour Standoff: SJPD

Administrators at two nearby elementary schools ordered students and staff to shelter in place as a precaution.

An armed man who held his 3-year-old daughter hostage in San Jose's Willow Glen neighborhood and then barricaded himself inside the house for about six hours after releasing her, finally surrendered after a tense six-hour standoff Thursday, San Jose police said.

The girl was released safely 2 1/2-hours into the standoff with police, which began at about 10 a.m. in the 1700 block of Jonathan Avenue.

"She was fine, safe and sound and happy to see her mom,” said San Jose Police Lt. Mike King.

The father, identified by San Jose police as 34-year-old San Jose resident Thomas Chalmes, surrendered shortly after 4 p.m., police said. Chalmes will be booked into Santa Clara County Jail on multiple alleged crimes, according to police.

Officers responded to the home after the girl's mother called 911 to report her 3-year-old daughter being held in the her home by the child's father, authorities said.

Erica Ridgeway, who works nearby, says the couple was supposed to meet to sign divorce papers when the man pulled a hand gun. The mom got away, but the man took his daughter inside.

"The grandmother showed up about 15-20 minutes after the hostage situation took place and told me he came by to finalize the divorce," Ridgeway said.

During the standoff, NBC News producer Chris Young tweeted out photos of SWAT officers on the scene. Flash bang grenades continued through the afternoon in an attempt to get Chalmes out of the house. Local media outlets also tweeted out photos of heavy police activity in the neighborhood, which neighbors say is usually very quiet.

Young said SWAT team members were trying to use an armored BearCat to gain access to the backyard of the home.

Two nearby elementary schools, Hammer and Galarza, were ordered to “shelter-in-place” as a precaution, according to San Jose Unified. Police blocked off Pine Avenue between Bird and Ellen avenues and Jonathan Avenue between Pine and Byerley avenues during the standoff.

NBC Bay Area's Laura Malpert contributed to this report.

Contact Us