A suburban Chicago animal hospital is warning pet owners after a client reported pieces of hot dog injected with rat poison had been found on front lawns.
At least seven pieces of hot dog were brought into Riser Animal Hospital in Des Plaines Tuesday, and the hospital believes they may have been put out in lawns to harm animals.
“Everybody knows that you do not need to put rat poison in hot dogs for rats to eat it,” a post on the animal hospital’s Facebook page read.
U.S. & World
A dog owner brought the hot dog pieces into the hospital after her dog became ill.
"It was very upsetting," said another dog owner Daniel Ivanov. "Something that could happen to my dog is nerve-racking."
The hospital said pet owners in Des Plaines and surrounding suburbs should remain on alert.
Police met with the condo board over the incident.